Monday, July 21, 2008

First and Final Post from Tony: Long Live the Potato!

“¡Viva la papa!” Oh, no. Did I just shout “Long live the potato!” in front of 150,000 pilgrims? Apparently I did, as my Spanish-speaking companions pointed out. Maybe I would’ve had better luck shouting in Italian instead. At any rate, the intention was there at least! Seeing the Pope in person was a wonderful experience, even if he was just a spec on the horizon. Just knowing he was there in person for me – for all of us – was enough to bring joy to my heart.

Seeing so many cultures meshed together made me realize just how large and diverse the Church actually is. Together under one banner we proclaim the same Christ, live the same Gospel, and uphold the same precepts regardless of our ethnicity or background. Each culture that participated in WYD ’08 expressed their appreciation and respect for the Pope in a unique and inspired way. Chants, music, song, and dance filled the streets of Sydney. Even the most hardened heart could see why we were there.

As pilgrims, the Pope calls us to join the Blessed Mother in the upper room for the “new” Pentecost. Acts 1:8 shows us that we are to be witnesses to the current generation. This pilgrimage may have begun in Sydney, but the journey continues within our hearts.

Rendiamo grazie a Dio!

-Tony

No comments: