Sunday, July 13, 2008

Day Three: One Bread, One Body

I have found that I can't upload pictures from my phone camera here in Australia, so unfortunately I can't show you any pictures of the parish where we celebrated the Mass today. It was quite an experience, not so much in any big differences in the celebration of Mass, but in the realization of what it meant to be universally catholic (and Catholic).

Everyone here has been beyond welcoming, including the parish (St. Benedict's in Aracadia). Fr. John Martin concelebrated the Mass with Fr. Simon, one of the Benedictines from the monastery (who we are told has a seashell collection of epic proportions - we have yet to see this phenomenon). A bit embarassed that the ushers skipped right over us at the offeratory, we were all moved by an instrumental offeratory song done on a harmonica. Now, I know what you're thinking - was this a Mass or a hoe-down?? I promise you, it was beautiful...as though a stringed instrument had been played.

For those of you who know me well, you know that music is a big part of my expression of faith, so that is what tends to move me, even in the Mass. The parish was a bit apprehensive that their organist was unable to be there, but it was an unnecessary concern. It wasn't the quality of the music that moved me, but the simplicity and earnestness of it all. We even had an American standard over communion - One Bread, One Body. Though at home we sometimes feel like we are on autopilot during familiar songs, the depth of meaning in this one and the scripture from which it draws, connected with me deeply. Here we were, across the world, and yet we were coming together as one people in Christ Jesus, through whom all may become one with God again.

I'm sure as the week draws on, that recognition will move me more deeply than I know now. I'm also sure that it will greatly affect the way in which I view my connection to the church back home. What I don't know yet is what I may be called to do in light of these revelations...

Well, it is time for dinner and we should probably head back to the cottage before they eat all the food! Good night and God bless - we'll be back with more later!!

No comments: